SharePoint 2010 - The search service is not able to connect to the machine that hosts the administration component

by Aaron 16. January 2012 05:05

A couple of months ago, I set up a SharePoint 2010 instance.  I had some issues, but the site was up and working for the most part.

One of the issues was the Search Application Service.  For some reason, the service wouldn't crawl the site, and it was giving me an error in Central Administration in the System Status.  The message said, "The search service is not able to connect to the machine that hosts the administration component.  Verify that the administration component '<guid goes here>' in search application 'Search Service Application' is in a good state and try again.

Also, when running a search from within a SharePoint site, I would get the error message, "The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service."  Of course it can't.  The search service isn't working, right?

I read several things that told me to change the app pool to a different one [link], make sure the indexing service is running [link], and to make sure that the search application is associated with the proxy group (same thread in the previous link).  This latter solution is what helped me out.  Not only did the contributor mention the association, but he also said that he deleted the old service and created a new one.

The first thing I tried was following his instructions of checking the "Service Application Associations."  This is under Central Administration > Application Management > Service Applications > Configure service application associations.


After clicking on the "Configure" link, you're presented with a page that has your web applications and an Application Proxy Group associated with the web applications.  Mine was named "Default" and was associated with the user site and the main site.


So, clicking on Default, I get a dialog showing me all of the application services associated with the Application Proxy Group.


I noticed that there was no Search Service in the list at all!  Looking at the "Type" I did see that everything was a whatever-service "Proxy".  My search service wasn't there, and after looking in the service applications, I didn't have a Search Service Application Proxy on the Search Service Application.  Either it was never there, or I accidentally deleted it.


I created a new Search Service Application.  After creating it, I verified the proxy was there:


Then I verified that the search service was associated with my web application:


After that, all the bells and whistles came on for the crawl status:


Finally, I now get results in my searches through the SharePoint site.

Tags: , , , ,


1/4/2013 7:24:57 AM #

Eugene Rosenfeld

Thanks for the great post. I got bitten by the missing search proxy too.

Eugene Rosenfeld United States

Comments are closed